Monday, September 25, 2006

Quiet Morning


This was a rare morning. I awoke around 7 expecting my daughter to wake to eat at any minute. I came downstairs (boy was it chilly!) and checked my email, put in a load of laundry, ate a bowl of cereal and the children were still sleeping! All of a sudden it dawned on me that I had been praying about finding a quiet time to spend in the Word. God was giving me precious quiet time and I was wasting it on email and breakfast, which I can do while the kids are awake. So, excitedly I sat down and read the first 3 chapters in I Corinthians and 5 Psalms. And I mean, really read. I reread portions and meditated on specific passages, just like a real devotional! These are hard to come by, I admit. Life with a 2 year old and a newborn is busier than I imagined.

So I thought I would share a passage that stood out to me this morning:

Psalm 3:3-6

But you, O LORD, are a shield about me, my glory, and the lifter of my head.
I cried aloud to the LORD, and he answered me from his holy hill.
I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around.

What an amazing thought. God is my shield and the lifter of my head. I love that phrasing. I have experienced His holy hand lifting my head, and nothing is more satisfying.

After I had a chance to meditate on this, the kids awoke and the day became busy with a chiropracter appointment and a host of other errands. It was a good reminder, although, and a chance to give praise to God for being my shield, my sustainer, and the lifter of my head.

6 comments:

Gretchen said...

That exact verse was once a "rameh" to me. . . it was three days before my wedding, and I was an emotional mess, because I was worried that having a wedding meant I was trying to somehow gain glory for myself. After all, the bride is the main person everyone looks at, right? I know now that it was just Satan trying to ruin something beautiful that the Lord had ordained, but that tearstained night I opened my Bible and asked the Lord to comfort my confused heart. I read and read, and then the words jumped out to me "for YOU, O LORD, are a shield for me, MY GLORY and the lifter of my head!" He was my glory, and He lifted my head!! I LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

Donette,
I love it. I'm so glad I found your blog. Great post - I know from living with a family of 4 girls that time to yourself is not found very easily. Take Care, G-Knee

Anonymous said...

You mean to tell me that once our baby is born our mornings will never be the same??? (-: Anyways, I need your address. I have your old one but not your new one. Hope your having a great day, but now I must get back to my lovely 1st graders!!!
Love, Jana

Anonymous said...

It's Me Again.. I had to get back to class and didn't have time to finsh. Just wanted to say that was a good reminder to me. As you probably remember I am not much of a morning person, so getting up a little earlier to spend time in God's Word is something I always need to work on. Talk to you later.
Jana

Donette said...

Jana,
If I remember right, you were infamous for hitting snooze too many times! Sometimes I really miss those days. At least we had a mandatory time set aside for devotions, although there is something different about wanting to read the Bible and being told it was time to read. Anyway . . .

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I love to read other's meditations on Scripture, and I hope to have more quiet mornings to share some of my own.

Donette

Gretchen said...

Donette, I tried to make you a link on my blog, but every time I click it, it just comes back to mine. Sorry! I will try to make it work!

Just wanted you to know you were included in the most recent addition to my blog.