Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Morning Rose tagged me to do a Five Things About Me Meme.
The rules of the game get posted at the beginning.
Each player answers the questions about themselves.
At the end of the post, the player then tags five people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know they’ve been tagged and asking them to read the player’s blog.
Let the person who tagged you know when you’ve posted your answer.
What were you doing five years ago?
1. I was finishing up my first year of teaching 4th through 6th grade at a private Christian school.
2. Dan and I went to Maui on our first exotic vacation!
3. I was pregnant with Elijah.
4. We travelled to Washington state to attend Dan's brother's wedding.
5. I was enjoying my first summer vacation not working! (I have stayed home since ending that school year)
What are five things on your to-do list for today (not in any particular order)?
1. Finish laundry
2. Research sewing machines
3. Try to get the house back to normal after a crazy weekend with houseguests and cookouts
4. Finish watching "Becoming Jane"
5. Did I mention all the laundry?
What are five snacks you enjoy?
1. anything chocolate
2. cheese and crackers
3. ice cream
4. fresh strawberries
5. chips and dip
What five things would you do if you were a billionaire?
1. Give most of it away - it would consume me.
2. Redo our kitchen and basement, or . . .
3. Move to a home on the lake.
4. Travel, especially to foreign countries where we know missionaries.
5. Invest and live off of the interest (okay, that's Dan talking)
What are five of your bad habits?
2. Being critical
3. Being obsessive compulsive about things
4. Wasting time
5. Picking at scabs. Disgusting. I know.
What are five jobs you’ve had?
1. Shoe salesman at Sears
2. Telecounselor for MBBC
3. Pharmacy tech
4. Manager of health and fitness club (anyone who knows me will find this very ironic.)
What five people do you want to tag?
Wednesday, May 21, 2008
So here are 2 make-ahead mixes that help you on your path to healthy(er) eating . . .
2 tsp instant minced onion
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp crushed dried red pepper
1/2 tsp instant minced garlic
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Combine all ingredients in small bowl until evenly distributed. Store in a foil bag or plastic container in a cool, dry place. Use within 6 months. Makes about 2 T. Use 2 T for every pound of ground beef.
*I triple this recipe and it fits nicely into an old spice container. Then you always have it on hand when you need it.
Buttermilk Pancake Mix
2 c. dry buttermilk powder
8 c. flour
1/2 c. granulated sugar
8 tsp. baking powder
4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
Combine, stir with whisk until evenly distributed. Makes 12 cups and use within 6 months.
Pancakes: 1 egg beaten, 2 T. oil, 1 cup water, 1 1/2 c. mix. Combine egg, oil and water. With wire whisk stir in mix until blended. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in more water for a thinner batter if desired.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
This was my first project. Seeing how simple it was caused me to want to try something more challenging.My first handbag! Okay, okay, I realize it is small, but I did it, and that makes me very happy. I tackled this one on my own, with the help of this great tutorial.
Did you know that you can buy these dresses on the bolt and all you have to do is stitch up the back, hem and attach straps? Alli was very excited to try it on. I'm still deciding what to do with the straps. Alli also desperately needed a belt since even toddler pants are low rise now. This was easy-peasy, so I made one for myself, too.
I found this idea on www.Joann.com. It's an organizer that hangs on the back of your car seat for the kids to put their books and toys in. This is Elijah's (obviously) and I am currently working on one for Alli.
And I have some baby gift ideas, since our church is continually reproducing, so I should stay busy for a while. Dan is excited and very supportive, but is worried that I might get burned out. Who suffers from burnout when there are such a plethora of good ideas out there?
Monday, May 05, 2008
Saturday, May 03, 2008
Dan thought they had damaged just a small area (like 2 or 3 boards) and thought he would take advantage of the time I've been away to complete a couple of projects. Needless to say, this one is gonna take a while.
**Aaahhh - you gotta love owning a home**