Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Bitten

I've been bitten by the sewing bug. It all started out so innocently. I had a mounting pile of clothes that needed mended, and my #1 seamstress had just had a baby, so I decided to try to tackle some of them myself. Only I didn't know what I was doing. This realization led me to ask my good friend Debbie to teach me to sew. You know, just simple stuff like hemming pants and maybe a decorative pillow or two.



Well, after surfin' the web to get some project ideas (after all, to learn to sew you must have projects) I was so overwhelmed and excited at the sewing possibilities that I went kinda crazy. Debbie lent me her machine and I went to town. Here are a few of the things I have made so far . . .

This was my first project. Seeing how simple it was caused me to want to try something more challenging.My first handbag! Okay, okay, I realize it is small, but I did it, and that makes me very happy. I tackled this one on my own, with the help of this great tutorial.
Did you know that you can buy these dresses on the bolt and all you have to do is stitch up the back, hem and attach straps? Alli was very excited to try it on. I'm still deciding what to do with the straps. Alli also desperately needed a belt since even toddler pants are low rise now. This was easy-peasy, so I made one for myself, too.

I found this idea on www.Joann.com. It's an organizer that hangs on the back of your car seat for the kids to put their books and toys in. This is Elijah's (obviously) and I am currently working on one for Alli.

And I have some baby gift ideas, since our church is continually reproducing, so I should stay busy for a while. Dan is excited and very supportive, but is worried that I might get burned out. Who suffers from burnout when there are such a plethora of good ideas out there?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pillows, handbag, and more! You are doing great!

shudson said...

Holy Crap, when do you find the time??!!

Donette said...

The bag took only an hour or less, and all but the pillows I did last Saturday. Dan was very gracious to let me sew for a while, and I take advantage of nap times. My house is a mess, but I sewed! Mostly now I am just fitting it into down time, a few stitches at a time. That also means that my bedroom is perpetually piled with half-completed projects.

But when the basement is done, and I have my sewing area, then I'll be able to leave stuff out without it bothering me so much! Can't wait!

Jenni said...

What would you charge to make a belt for Brooklyn? They are so hard to find in the stores for her size!

Missy said...

Very cool! Yay for you!

Rachel said...

Wow, Donette! I'm so glad you're enjoying sewing - it really is fun :O)

Crazy Mom said...

Hey, can you make me a couple of belts, too? I'd be willing to pay for them. I need one for each of my kids! Way to go on all your projects! What a wonderful hubby you have to be so supportive of it, too! :) I just love the hand bag, too! So cool!

Summer said...

i was just telling my mom that i wanted to take sewing lessons! how cool! i think it would be fun to make C's clothes :)