This past year found me reading more, and subsequently, visiting the library more often. I hadn't made it a habit to go to the library, partly because Elijah was stilled enthralled with the Zempel family library and also because Alli was small and napped most of the day. But as she got older, we started making a trip to the library a "must do" every couple of weeks, and Elijah's world opened to new books and the wall of videos, of which he was allowed one choice each visit.
At a loss as to what books I should be reading to my then-3-year-old, I found a list that the library suggested for picture books and we started checking out the past Caldecott winners. Without a doubt, we really loved the list the librarians recommended, and were a bit disappointed in the Caldecott books, mostly because the stories didn't captivate Elijah like some others did.
So without further ado, here is our list of favorite children's picture books from 2007 (that is, the year we read them, not the year they were published):
10. The Hello, Goodbye Window by Norton Juster (the 2006 Caldecott Medal Winner)
9. Any of the Froggy books by Jonathan London
8. How Are You Peeling? by Saxton Freymann
7. I Stink! by Kate McMullan (definately a boy's book. On the downside, now Elijah loves to talk about eating garbage.)
6. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin (I will admit that I don't get this book, but both Alli and Elijah loved it - I guess it is the rhymes.)
5. Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae
4. Click, Clack, Moo: Cows that Type by Doreen Cronin
3. Strega Nona: An old Tale by Tomie De Paola
2. Bed Hogs by Kelly DiPucchio
And the number 1 book that we loved from 2007 . . . which I bought to give Alli on her 2nd birthday . . . whose author lives in Wisconsin . . . and also happens to be the 2005 Caldecott Medal Winner is . . .
It is the story of a little kitten who mistakes the full moon for a bowl of milk and spends all night chasing after it. So adorable and fun. A must-add to our family library.
What are your favorite picture books?