Monday, September 08, 2008

Love Song for a Savior by Jars of Clay

It's been fun, as my walk with Christ deepens and matures, to listen to music that I've loved for a long time. I have abandoned some old favorites because I don't believe the theology they teach, while others have become more meaningful and sweet to me. One such song is "Love Song for a Savior" by Jars of Clay. I'm sure I've owned this CD for at least 12 years, since high school, and even got demerits at Maranatha for listening to it there! It is still one of my favorite Cd's and I've enjoyed the group's changing sound over the years.

So the other day, when I chose Jars of Clay to listen to on my iPod, I easily slipped into just enjoying the music and lyrics without really thinking about what they were saying. And when Love Song came on, I was caught off guard at what a beautiful picture of a childhood conversion might look like. I listened intently and thought about my own conversion, and hoped for a similar experience for my kids. I want them to grow up knowing about God, wanting to love Him until the moment He divinely opens their eyes to His worth.

So enjoy the lyrics, watch the youtube video, and buy the song on iTunes for $.99 if you think you'll like it.

In open fields of wild flowers
She breathes the air flies away
She thanks her Jesus for the daisies and the roses
In no simple language
Someday she'll understand the meaning of it all

He's more than the laughter
Or the stars in the heavens
As close as a heartbeat
Or a song on her lips
Someday she'll trust him
And learn how to see him
Someday he'll call her
And she will come running
Fall in his arms, the tears will fall down
And she'll pray

I want to fall in love with you

Sitting silent wearing Sunday best
The sermon echoes through the walls
A great salvation through it
Goes to the people who stare into nowhere
Can't feel the chains on their souls

He's more than the laughter
Or the stars in the heavens
As close as a heartbeat
Or a song on her lips
Someday we'll trust him
And learn how to see him
Someday he'll call us
And we will come running
Fall in his arms
The tears will fall down and we'll pray

I want to fall in love with you


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I always liked that song by them too. Some of their songs are not very theological, but they do have a choice few that are excellent.

I just heard some old Caedmon's Call the other day, and it made me think of college days too. :-)