Wednesday, January 02, 2008

A New Year's Resolution I Actually Kept!

Last New Year I decided that I would make only one resolution and I was determined to make it sufficiently vague enough that I wouldn't become obsessive-compulsive about completing it. (I tend to be a bit OCD) My resolution was to read more. I realized that I kept buying books and then putting them on a shelf and never touching them again. So I decided that I would be more purposeful in my reading in 2007, which included doing just that (reading) instead of this (blogging) and also to read a chapter of a book before bed every night. I kept a list of the books I read and even posted a review or two. So here is my master list of reading materials for the last year:


1. Humility – True Greatness by C.J. Mahaney
2. The Eaglet by Jim Ellif
3. Knowing God by J.I. Packer
4. The Cross Centered Life by C.J. Mahaney
5. Sex is not the Problem (Lust is) by Joshua Harris
6. The Life and Labors of George Muller by Mrs. Muller
7. Questioning Evangelism by Randy Newman
8. Lies my Teacher Told Me by James Loewen
9. Mary by Janis Cooke Newman
10 & 11. The Humanist Manifesto I & II
12. Body Piercing Saved My Life: Inside the Phenomenon of Christian Rock by Andrew Beaujon
13. The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
14. New Covenant Theology: Questions Answered by Steve Lehrer
15. Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney
16. The Big Picture Story Bible by David Helm
17. The Nine Day Queen of England – Lady Jane Grey by Faith Cook
18. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
19. It Aint’ All About the Cooking by Paula Deen
20. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
21. Uncle Tom’s Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
22. Saving Erasmus by Steven Cleaver
23. Learning to See Creatively by Bryan Peterson
24. The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones
25. The Art of Wedding Photography by Bambi Cantrell and Skip Cohen

I am already on par to complete at least another 4-6 books just by finishing up books that I am reading for a Bible Study or with a friend, so 2008 is off to a good start! I have really enjoyed taking the time to read for pleasure again, and I hope to do more of it this year. And for all of you who gave me suggestions -thanks and keep 'em coming!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Congratulations! I have yet to keep a New Years resolution. However, it is rare that I even make them! I noticed that you had a couple photography books on your reading list. How were they? Would you recommend them? I have a month of evenings free of homework to enjoy right now and was thinking of maybe getting some photography books from the library.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

That's a great resolution to have. I've read a lot more this past year too and hope to compile a list at the end of the school year. I read #16, 20, and 24 on your list. I would recommend Safely Home by Randy Alcorn and also his D trilogy (Deadline, Dominion, and Deception). I enjoyed them all.

Gretchen said...

Kudos, girl! EXCELLENT! Such a worthy goal.

Hope you had a great Christmas. Kind of can't believe it's over already! Wish the party could go on and on. :)

Love ya,

~Gret

sara said...

Wow, that is quite a list. I will have to look up some of those. Thanks for sharing, I am always looking for good reads.

girlie girl said...

HI! You may not remember me, but I married David Branch. We met once or twice at Crossroads. I stumbled onto your blog through Amy's blog. Great resolution. I also make too many and get frustrated to keep them. Thanks for the inspiration!