Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tagged, again!

This tagging thing keeps me up on my posts! I was tagged by Hindto to give 5 interesting things about myself. This doesn't come easily, since I don't find myself very interesting, but here goes:

1. I have hundreds of ideas for starting my own business. I have always loved the idea of owning a bookstore, but I would only stock books that I agree with, so the market better like my ideas! I also would love to run a coffee shop, especially in cooperation with my sis-in-law, Noelle. She would decorate and teach me the way of the barista, and I would buy books for our customers to read while they sip our delicious coffee. I sell Mary Kay, so that is one of my business ventures, and I have often thought about getting my cosmetology degree, just so I could cut my family's hair and any friends who trust me!

2. I used to laugh when Dan would suggest me working with him (he owns his own business) and tell him that I would rather stay married to him! Now I feel a little differently. After 4 months of him working by himself with no team members, I decided I could do it. Unfortunately, I was at home with a newborn and 2 year old when I had this revelation, so there was no way I could do it! However, if the need ever arises again, I know that I will be more willing to pitch in and help. And who would make a better team member than your spouse? I pretty much always know what he is thinking already! :)

3. In high school, I remember saying that I would never have children because I was scared of the pain (who isn't?) and that I just couldn't imagine myself as a mother. I was more of a feminist than I was willing to admit. One of my best friends, Amber, told me that she couldn't imagine me not being a mother, since I was already so motherly! Trust me, this wasn't a complement to a 17 year old girl! But since having children, I can't imagine life any other way. I love being a mother! I'm so glad I was wrong!

4. All through my childhood and even into college I doubted my salvation. It wasn't until I started identifying signs of the Spirit's work in my life that that issue was resolved. I'm so glad that I know now not to just look at the date in the flyleaf of my Bible and trust a prayer! By the way, this opens a can of worms as to whether or not I was saved as a child, or until I was an adult. Who knows? Only God, and He is at work in my life now, so that is all that matters!

5. Ok, those of you who really know me probably already know this, but for my new readers . . . I tend to be obsessive-compulsive about neatness. So much so that my mom used to purposely move something on my dresser just to see if I would notice - and I always did! Some of my friends even refer to me as "Monica," and if you ever watched the TV show "Friends" you will know what they mean! I struggle not to let this tendency become a sin in my life, and I know it has. When I am more concerned about my house being in my idea of order than in loving and caring for others, I know this is sin. And when I lose my patience when my mom is here and doesn't put things back where they go, I am sinning. Yes, mom, I realize it and am working on it!

So there you have it, the only 5 things that I could come up with this morning! Hope you learned something new about me from this post!

11 comments:

Gretchen said...

Nett- As to #4, did you read my memory #17? I am so with you, girl. My new friend Theologian Kevin wrote such an excellent post about that struggle (he's a GREAT writer) that you should check out. You can find his blog via my page and scroll all the way down, it's the post called Brother Martin. SO GOOD!

Dora said...

Donnette,
you are such a blessing.. thanks for being so real and honest..
love ya,
dora

Name: Karen said...

Well, I posted almost verbatim your #1 on Gretchen's. I'd LOVE To own a bookstore and only sell books that I agreed with. I also wanted to have a little tea shoppe inside it to feed the soul and the stomach! Everytime I go into a Christian books store that sells so much....well....garbage...I think if only.....

Anonymous said...

A good book on starting your own business (and including the kids) is called Minding Your Own Business by Raymond and Dorothy Moore.

We've tried a few things in our home. The boys and I do a garage sale every spring, in conjunction with our citywide sale. It's great to earn a couple hundred bucks for the summer, when money is a little tight (my hubby is a teacher on a 9-month contract). My boys enjoy earning money too, by selling old toys or other items they don't need anymore.

I'm also a consultant with Young Living Essential Oils. My hubby has a consulting business in addition to his teaching job, and he recently started selling books on Amazon.com.

Sarah said...

Donette, that made me laugh when you said your mom used to move things on your dresser to make you mad. :-) I am not as obsessive as you are about things (I mean that in a good way!), but in college when Heather and I were roomates (I think when you went home that sememster), she discovered that I liked to have things in a certain place and I would notice if she moved them. So she started moving little things on my desk or bed, just to see if I would notice....unfortunately I did and felt very OCD for moving them back. :-) YOu are not alone!

Donette said...

Kelley,
Long story short, she connected to my blog via a mutual friend and I happen to know of her in-laws from the church Dan grew up in! So Dan knows her husband and I don't really know her personally, only developed a relationship through this cool blogging thing!

Gretchen said...

In reference to Hindt's comment "Everytime I go into a Christian books store that sells so much....well....garbage...I think if only....." I'd like to say that even though I think LifeWay carries some pretty WEAK SAUCE stuff, I think they do well (at least at my branch which is after all located on campus of a SEMINARY) to avoid heresy and horridly trashy stuff.

But our Elisabeth Elliot selection is shockingly lacking! I'll have to remedy that once I get an office position!

Name: Karen said...

I would thing the Southern Book Store would be pretty right on, only because of how solid Southern is as a Seminary. It's just hard for me to go into a Christian Book Store and have Benny Hinn smiling up at me, or Joel Olsteen--as I think to myself..."Oh, I hope someone searching doesn't come across this stuff and think this is what being a God Follower is!"

I would not have either of those mens books for sale in my dream store!

Name: Karen said...

Is that Kelly H. who lives in Michigan????? I won't allow me to click on her profile?

Donette said...

Yes, it is!

GloryandGrace said...

Yes, I must say that if you're going to frequent a Lifeway, the better one to go to as on campus where Gret works. We had an interesting discussion in my counseling class this past week on the common books in bookstores, and the underlying themes with some of the authors that are being infiltrated into peoples' hearts.

If you ever move to Louisville, I'll help with the whole bookstore thing :)