Monday, February 12, 2007

Love Story, Part 1


In honor of Valentine’s Day, I thought I would tell the story of how Dan and I met. It isn’t every day that you get to relive the day you fell in love, so I am going to enjoy this, even if you all think it is corny!
I was about to embark on my sophomore year at MBBC when I complained to my parents that I really did not want to go back. I didn’t have a boyfriend, or any real prospects and I was going back to a crazy, dating world. Everyone was dating, or was desperately trying to find someone with which to date. It was somewhat depressing for me, especially because I had experienced such a great summer at home with my college group. It was filled with outstanding Christians that were real in their walk and didn’t know or understand the world of legalistic Bible colleges I felt I was returning to. I desperately wanted to date someone with a similar background and belief system and I felt that there wasn’t anyone like that at Maranatha.


So after venting to my parents, my dad said, “Well, Donette, maybe God will bring someone new to campus this year.” I quickly reminded him that I couldn’t date a younger guy, so the likelihood that would happen was slim. He replied, “Maybe some junior will transfer from another college.” Like most young adults, his parental prediction went in one ear and out the other. I returned to school without thinking twice about what he said.


I was working in the telecounseling office in the admissions office and came across some information for a new student who had transferred in from Cornerstone College in Grand Rapids, MI. I hadn’t met him, so I questioned my workmates about who he was. It seemed everyone already knew of him and they all started telling me how he was this great soccer player who had played on scholarship at Cornerstone and now was going to take our soccer team to great heights. (Our team didn’t have the reputation of greatness, and the campus was obsessed with good athletes. Remember the girl basketball player who had played D-1? She was a legend before she ever stepped foot on the court.) I didn’t think about him again.


Now this is where the story gets fuzzy. Dan swears that we met sooner than I remember, but all I can vouch for is my memory, so that is the version you will get. . . . . . . . . tomorrow. Stay tuned!

5 comments:

mitchells2000 said...

Isn't it funny how parents just "know" something. I'll have to post the story of Chris and I sometime, too... Am looking forward to "chapter 2." I love hearing other people's love stories. :-)

Anonymous said...

Good idea for Valentine's Day. Can't wait for part 2! :)

Gretchen said...

I love it! I can't wait to hear the rest!

BTW -- that is super funny about "the girl who played D-1 basketball". She was from my church in Illinois, and i totally talked her into coming to MBBC, and then it was all controversial. We were pretty good friends in high school, but not in college. I have no idea what happened to her, as she left after that year they won the championship!

And I SOOOOOOOoooooooooooo know the feeling about meeting someone new! I pretty much felt like guy options were non-existent (at least for me), and then God brought Josh along, who is a TAD younger than me, and 2 years behind me in school! I would never have guessed!

Stephanie said...

Enjoying your story. I am making the rounds off of G-kee's blog to see the different stories.
Your kids newest pictures are really cute too!

Donette said...

I meant nothing personal by the comment about dating someone younger, I was just reliving the feelings I had as a sophomore that it would have been totally uncool to date a younger guy! Obviously, now I see nothing "uncool" about it, especially when so many of my friends have great guys because they dated against the stream!