Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Our Stronghold and Refuge


I was reading Psalm 9 this morning when verse 9 and 10 caught my attention. They read:
The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.
And those who know your name put their trust in you,
for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you.

I knew that verse, but not that verse, so I turned to Nahum 1:7 and read,
The LORD is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble;
he knows those who take refuge in him.

Now my ESV, which has scant cross-references, did not direct me to either verse; I just happened to know the Nahum passage from previous memorization. I liked reading both, as it gave me 2 views of God, while still saying the same thing.

Psalm 9:9 says those who know God, and I infer really know God (not a head knowledge), automatically put their trust in him and he has never forsaken them. Now this could be a verse for the Lordship Salvation debate! That is another post, on another day. :) The Nahum verse is in the middle of a passage declaring God's judgments. It is a great go-to passage on the wrath of God. But there in the middle we see God actively giving refuge to those who trust him. It seems less passive than Psalm 9. It is as if God is saying, "In the midst of my wrath, I am your stronghold, take your refuge in me."

I'm glad I read both. It is a sweet remembrance in Psalm 9 of God as my refuge, and Nahum 1 gives me firm, unshakable assurance of his protection. Both are worthy of continued meditation.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

Wow. . . that is AWESOME! I have been noting lately how often in Psalms David mentions God as a "refuge". I love that thought -- especially as the refuge in the midst of His wrath!

Another thing God is in the midst of His wrath is merciful. In Genesis when Lot is being urged out of Sodom, Lot lingers and won't hurry, and the passage says that the angel GRABS his arm -- the Lord being merciful -- and force him to come. WOAH! Lot wasn't really willing to leave the sinful place, but God, in His mercy, MAKES him escape the wrath. I remember Dr. Radford saying that the blood on the doorposts at passover was God's way of protecting His people from HIMSELF. . . wow.