Thursday, March 18, 2010

On Reinstating Old Resolutions

I'm back on the wagon. Your comments from my last post helped put me there. Now I can't say that my family will never eat anything out of a box again (can we say "cereal'?) but I am resolved to quit buying the vast amounts of groceries from the middle of the store. I'm sticking to the fresh fruits and vegetable, fresh meat and dairy items. With a little bratwurst thrown in when the weather is warmer!

I was sizing up my pantry for all the things we shouldn't be eating when I noticed the box muffin mix. I checked my muffin recipes, and most call for 10-12 ingredients, whole ingredients like flour and fruit. Then I compared the box mix, which contained 25 ingredients, and only the first 3 or 4 could I even pronounce. That's disgusting!

So I need your help. What box mixes and the like have you replaced with homemade recipes?

Here's mine for the day:

Homemade "Cream of _____ Soup" recipe
2 c. non-fat dry milk crystals
3/4 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. Instant chicken bouillon
2 tbsp. dried onion flakes
1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed (optional)
1 tsp. dried basil, crushed
1 tsp. pepper

Add 1/3 c. of mix to 1 1/4 c. water and heat and whisk until thickened. Works great in casseroles!

No comments: