Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow Day

Usually I relish snow days. Even though my kids aren't in school and it doesn't really change my schedule at all, I still feel that child-like excitement whenever we get a big snow.

However, this storm really messed with my schedule. We were supposed to be leaving tonight for my parent's house, but since they got a nasty ice-storm and are currently without electricity, we are stuck at home.

So Elijah played outside, Alli stayed in to color, and I shoveled a walkway on our deck for the dog. Poor thing, the snow is so deep she doesn't dare to walk off into the yard, fearing being buried alive. So she does her duty on the deck snow. I won't even go into the lovely icicles I found while shoveling. But moving on . . .

I decided to set out a bowl on the deck to collect snow to make snow ice cream. (Mind you, out of the reach of the dog.) I just found this recipe and decided a snow day was the perfect day to try it:

Snow Ice Cream
8 cups fresh, clean snow
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

mix and eat - quickly. It's rich, so a little goes a long way, but the kids loved it!

Now to decide whether or not I should unpack the bags . . .

3 comments:

sara said...

Awwww- sorry it ruined the plans :(

That snow ice cream sounds really good. There is NO way we will ever get enough snow to try it !

Linda C said...

Sorry to hear that your trip was postponed -- have a feeling there are lots of families in the same situation. Quite a winter so far!

We used to make snow ice cream when I was growing up. Fun memories!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Linda C

Missy said...

Thanks for the recipe. We're going to try it!