Sunday, October 05, 2008

Progression on Alli's Quilt

This quilting thing isn't so hard -if you find a beginner pattern, that is. Alli's quilt is going together really quickly. I thought I would update you on my progress:


First of all, this is the main fabric that I chose to work off. I'm going for a scrappy, shabby-chic, cottage-y look. I've already made a matching pillow-case for Alli's mini pillow on her bed with the leftover of this fabric.




Step 1: Cut out 2 8-inch squares from each fabric.



Step 2: Cut remaining fabric into 3-inch strips. Sew sets of 3 and 4 strips horizontally together to make strip sets.



Step 3: After sewing horizontally to form the strip set, cut it vertically to get these lovely little sets.




Step 4: Do this many times to get a big pile of cut strip sets. Pile them together and marvel how easy this has been so far.
Step 5: Start to join strip sets together with the 8-inch squares to make the rows of the quilt and then join the rows together to make the quilt top.
Step 6: Stop to ponder the other responsibilities you are shirking in an attempt to make a quilt for your daughter. Namely, the dishes. But hey, there will always be dirty dishes, but a homemade quilt lasts forever, right?!?!More pictures to follow as I finish the quilt top . . .




5 comments:

sara said...

That is right! I could not agree more- the dishes will be there for you to do tomorrow and the quilt will last forever!!!! Keep up the good work.

Missy said...

At least your priorities are in order! :-) Enjoy your quilt!

girlie girl said...

I've been wanting to make quilts for the boys, but thought it looked to difficult. Thanks for sharing your process. Can't wait to see it.

Missy said...

Hey, we must have the same taste. I just realized that my new background is the same as yours.

Linda C said...

Your quilt is going to be beautiful! The dishes can wait:)