Sunday, August 24, 2008

What I've Been Up To:

I've mentioned before that I've been sewing a lot lately, and a few of you asked to see my projects. So here they are!
This bag was one of my firsts. It serves as a "carry all" mostly for church. I love the black and white lilies and I chose a red batik for the lining.

This has been my purse for a while now. I love the print.


This is a new bag. Very slouchy and casual. It doesn't show up in the picture that well, but the print is a mint green toile.

This was my most ambitious handbag, made from an Amy Butler pattern with her fabric. I love this bag and use it a lot. I made one like it in slightly different fabrics at the request of a friend.

And the BIG project? My first quilt! Made solely with my fave designer's fabrics - Amy Butler. I never intended to become a quilter; I thought I would use my sewing machine for cool handbags and some basic garment construction. Well, it didn't take me long to discover that garment construction is not my calling in life and as much as I love sewing bags, I like the scope and size of a quilting project. So I have already started some others and have a list of more I would like to make!
I pieced this one and then Dan's Aunt Nancy, a wonderfully talented quilter, actually machine quilted it for me (my machine is too tiny for that part!) And then Dan's Grandma put on the binding - so this quilt was definitely a family affair!
This pattern is really simple, just squares and rectangles, but I hope to try some more challenging patterns in the future. For now, accomplishing this was enough to pique my interest in future quilting endeavors.
So that's a sampling of what I've been up to lately. Hopefully I'll be posting some more soon, and possibly opening my own Etsy shop!





11 comments:

sara said...

I LOVE everything! GREAT job on the bags and that gorgeous quilt!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Donette, those look great! I like that last bag the best. Want to take your first order? :)

Sarah said...

Wow, Donette--how do you find the time for all of this? The bags are beautiful.....I see a full-time business in the future. Maybe Dan can quit and be a stay-at-home dad. :-)

And I love your quilt! My MIL has made 4 or 5 for our family, and I just adore them. They remind me of family and memories and traditions.

Jana said...

Donette, Everything is so cute. Ok, the quilt looks amazing. My grandma made one for each of us before we got married. I love using it when I am sick or just cozing up on the couch.
So much talent! (-:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the bags and quilt!

To answer your question about homeschooling, you can start anytime that suits your family. Since you have pre-schoolers, you're not required by law to school them yet (not until they are 6). Some families choose to start early and then take a week off while others start after all their vacations are over. We start in August so we can be done in May.

Donette said...

hiyaru,
I would love to make a bag for you! Do you know how to contact me?

Donette said...

Thanks for your kind comments, everyone! And to answer your question concerning where I find the time - I have about 1 1/2 hours to myself every afternoon while Alli sleeps and Elijah has quiet room time. So I sew then and mostly only then. Sometimes I work for a short time in the evening after they have gone to bed, but mostly I use those precious alone minutes to enjoy my craft.

girlie girl said...

Great job! I love the A Butler bag. I'm in the middle of the Frenchy bag right now. So fun!

sarah e. shriver said...

Hello Donette! We LOVE this quilt! I am the marketing rep for The Electric Quilt Company, Sarah Shriver. I want to talk to you about submit this quilt to be in the Amy Butler inspiration gallery in our new program.
Email me at sarahshriver(at)electricquilt(dot)com

so that I can send you more info. I couldn't find your email on here.
Hope to hear form you soon!

Sarah Shriver
www.electricquilt.com

sarah e. shriver said...

Hello Donette! We LOVE this quilt! I am the marketing rep for The Electric Quilt Company, Sarah Shriver. I want to talk to you about submit this quilt to be in the Amy Butler inspiration gallery in our new program.
Email me at sarahshriver(at)electricquilt(dot)com

so that I can send you more info. I couldn't find your email on here.
Hope to hear form you soon!

Sarah Shriver
www.electricquilt.com

Brooka said...

Hi Donette,
I love your quilt...I found your blog through Allison Yorgey...She has told me about your sewing projects, and I am so happy to actually see them now. You do a great job~! I was thinking about buying a quilt for our guest room, but after seeing pictures of your quilt...i think I'm going to make one instead...I was wondering if you could help me with the specifics.