Sunday, August 17, 2008

This makes me never want to drink soda again . . .

I received this info from a newsletter from my chiropractor:

Drinking soda is bad for your health in so many ways; science can’t even state all the consequences. Here’s what happens in your body when you assault it with a Coke:

Within the first 10 minutes, 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. This is 100 percent of your recommended daily intake, and the only reason you don’t vomit as a result of the overwhelming sweetness is because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor.

Within 20 minutes, your blood sugar spikes, and your liver responds to the resulting insulin burst by turning massive amounts of sugar into fat.

Within 40 minutes, caffeine absorption is complete; your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, and your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream.

Around 45 minutes, your body increases dopamine production, which stimulates the pleasure centers of your brain – a physically identical response to that of heroin, by the way.

After 60 minutes, you’ll start to have a sugar crash.

The average American drinks more than 60 gallons of soft drinks each year, but before you grab that next can of soda, consider this: one can of soda has about 10 teaspoons of sugar, 150 calories, 30 to 55 mg of caffeine, and is loaded with artificial food colors and sulphites. Not to mention the fact that it’s also your largest source of dangerous high fructose modified corn syrup.

Here's my question, though. Does all this stuff happen if I drink a Diet Coke?

7 comments:

shudson said...

You're hilarious! I was asking the same question that you typed at the end before I got to the end! :) It's funny, I used to hate Diet Coke and now when I drink regular, it's too sweet! :) Do you have any earth-shattering scientific news about chocolate because I could really use a good reason to quit that addiction! :)

Anonymous said...

I gave up drinking soda years ago, though I'll occasionally have one (very rarely). I've read that diet soda is even worse than regular because of the artificial sweeteners.

Heather said...

Thanks for killing my addiction to Coke, Donette!! I blame you for any future caffeine deprived mood swings.....

Sarah said...

Probably only half of it..... :-)

This article makes me ALL the more glad that I do not drink more than the occasional rootbeer when I am out to eat.

Crazy Mom said...

I got the same email from the chiropractor! ;) And I wondered the same thing! What about the diet sodas? And does the same thing happen if I eat cake, ice cream, cookies, etc....? That will have to be our conversation with him the next time we're in - I won't be going again until September....we'll see if I remember! :)

Jenni said...

Scott also says the artificial sweeteners is worse for your body than the regular sugar. I wonder if all soda has the same amount of sugar as coke...I bet my favorite (Mountain Dew) has more! I tried some of the Jones Pure Cane Soda the other day when my sister bought it, and it tasted great. For a healthy option, if you can't give up soda, I thnk it would work (it is just more expensive!).

Karen said...

Oh, Donette.....did you have to print that for me to read? If this isn't reason to give up Dr.Pepper, I don't know what is....but....do I have to???????????????????????????????