Monday, November 12, 2007

Weekend to Reflect

This weekend found me attending a wedding, a funeral and a baby shower. All in three day's time. These events, in and of themselves, usually cause a person to reflect, to become sentimental, to cry. I did all. To add to the craziness of the weekend, I found out that my cousin has lung cancer and her father, my uncle, was diagnosed on the same day with Parkinson's Disease. Throw it all together and what do you get? A perfect opportunity to reflect on the brevity of life. I feel like I experienced an entire life's worth of "special moments" this weekend and it propelled me to ponder the meaning of life.

Now, I am a believer in and follower of Jesus Christ. I am fully aware of the meaning of life - to glorify God in all that I eat or drink or whatever I do. But even fully devoted believers have moments of self-introspection and questioning. The greatness of having those moments means that the Holy Spirit has another chance to speak to your soul, to remind you that life isn't only made up of those grand occasions, but that life occurs every day in the mundane moments. It is easy to judge a wedding or funeral to see if God was glorified, but what about the way in which I served lunch to my kids today? Did I honoring the gospel in my interaction with my neighbor as we walked together early this morning?

And the most amazing thing about remembering that we have these moments to show the glory of Christ is that He gives me another chance to do it again tomorrow. It's all about grace . . .

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Amen sister! Thanks for the reminder today. :-)