Monday, November 30, 2009

Perspective on Trials

Wow, how did almost 2 weeks go by without me posting again?!? I guess it is silent commentary on how busy we have been lately.

On our way home from a long Thanksgiving weekend, Dan and I listened to a sermon on trials by Mark Driscoll. It seemed an appropriate subject since many of our closest friends are experiencing great trials. But the preacher reminded us that all believers experience trials, some are trials of blessing and abundance, and others are trials of loss and want. Either way, trials are to be expected in life.

The entire message was excellent, but the phrase I've been mulling over all day is when he said (loose quotation here) "As a believer, this life of trials is the closest you will ever come to hell." It's making me think a lot about Christ's sacrifice, which is an appropriate meditation around Christmas, don't you think?





The sermon can be found here and you can get the other sermons in the series at http://8witnesses.com/

Let me know if you listen and what you think of it.

1 comment:

Missy said...

I've heard that quote before, and I remember mulling over it for a while after I first heard it. That's a pretty wonderful thing to know, isn't it. Puts the "hard" stuff into perspective and gives gratitude.

Yay for God!