Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Boston Trip, Day 1

As a special spring treat, Dan and I escaped, all on our own, to a 3 day get-away to Boston. Neither of us had ever been there, so we were pumped to check out one of America's oldest cities and to drink in the history and culture. Oh, and squeeze in that business meeting that made this trip possible . . .

Boston, here we come!

After arriving late Tuesday evening (or was it already Wednesday morning?) we hopped the "T" and rode to Copley Square where we checked our bags in some swanky hotel that the company was paying for.
After marveling at the old-world feel of the Fairfield, we looked forward to returning and resting there for the next two evenings, only to find out that there had been a mistake and we were supposed to be at the Westin across the street. Still, it was a pretty hotel to wander around and they were nice enough to keep our luggage until the 4pm check-in time.

We headed out to the street and started snapping pictures right away, although I must confess to you that almost all of the hundreds of pics we took on this trip were taken by Dan. He wore the camera bag and has a natural affinity for scenic pictures, so I let him snap away while I looked around.
This is Trinity Church reflected in the glass of the John Hancock building. Breathtaking, don't you think?We then picked up the freedom trail and wandered around the state house while important people bustled around us. We stopped into a historic church along the trail and marveled at the box pews. I think I recall a story about a church that locked the pews of errant members . . . well, after seeing the tall boxes, that made much more sense.
We finished the trail at the USS Ironsides and toured the USS Cassin Young, a WWII Destroyer. At this point, I decided that we needed proof that Dan was actually there, so I snapped this pic of his photography skills. It reminds me of our trip to the Grand Canyon, where I couldn't recognize him without a camera attached to his face.
It's all good . . . he's very capable behind the camera and more patient than I am, so he usually gets the better pictures.
Up next, Day 2 . . .





2 comments:

Missy said...

This is great! I love vicarious vacations. :-D Hope you ate an ice cream cone or something scrumptious for me.

Linda C said...

Great pictures- I feel like I'm there! So glad you and Dan were able to get away:)

Linda C