Thursday, October 11, 2007

Apple Picking Adventure

Last Saturday we went apple picking at an orchard in Northern IL with our small group from church. It was a blissfully warm day (almost hot!) and the apples were crisp and delicious straight from the tree. We picked about 25 lbs., which I made into 6 pies, 2 batches of applesauce, and there are still enough to eat for the pure pleasure of it!


We intended to come home with a few pumpkins, but after strenuous effort, Elijah decided we didn't have room in the trunk for this one.

You can see pics from others who were with us here, here and here.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure made a lot of pies and applesauce! I love that big pumpkin. My boys read about a huge pumpkin where the owner put two rows of mousetraps all around it so the mice wouldn't eat it. I think it set a record!

Jana said...

Hey, I would love your recipe for applesauce (unless it is a family secret!!!!!!!)Love the pics!

Donette said...

It is no family secret, and can be found in the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

Truthfully, I feel like applesauce takes a lot of effort and a lot of apples, for little reward. I have a hard time getting the right consistency, and it is so cheap to buy, that is why I only made 2 batches and the rest went towards those 6 apple pies! :)

Jana said...

Thanks for the tip! I think I will stick with apple pies!